Additional Information

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Give to Charity to get from Charity

I've always enjoyed having a unique name.  I have personally only met two other Charitys in my almost thirty years.  One of them went to my school but was several years younger; I had already graduated by the time she was in junior high.  The other one is a woman who sent me a friend request on Facebook for the simple fact that there are only three Charity Pences on the site.  I know there are a whole lot more than three people in the world named Charity so perhaps my name isn't as unique as I like to think.  But that's not really the point of this post.  The point is the jokes.

While I was growing up, I was constantly bombarded by people asking me for money.  People would put their hands out and say, "Give to Charity.  Give me money."  I guess they didn't understand that they had to give money to Charity in order for Charity to disperse money to them.  The joke got old very fast.  I'm amazed by how people think they are being original when they make such comments to me.  Like I haven't heard that joke hundreds of times already! Even some adults can't keep their mouths shut.

But today I heard a new one.  When I answer the phone at work, I have to tell the caller my name.  This is how a call went this morning:

"...This is Charity."
Quick pause.  "Is this Charity Case?"
Huh? An awkward moment passes while I figure it out.  Oh, he's asking if I'm a charity case.  "Oh," I said without laughing since I wasn't amused.
He thought he was funny.

I don't really say all this to complain.  I have had several people take a different approach by asking me where Faith and Hope are.  And I always kindly respond that I have two great-aunts, one named Faith and one named Hope, which is how I got my name. 

I guess the point of this post is to let you know you can say the joke if you want, but don't expect me to laugh.  I've heard it before.  Oh, and by the way, I'll be more than willing to hand money to you on one condition-- you give me money first. 

2 comments:

  1. I know the feeling with the names... My name is Hollidae (pronounced Holiday) and I get all kinds of jokes, including people spontaneously singing Madonna when they see me... I do hate that song...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy. I would get sick of that in a hurry. I feel your pain! But I like the name ~ very unique.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!