Additional Information

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Writing Weakness

As writers, I think we all have strengths and weaknesses.  My strength is dialogue.  The easiest part of writing for me is writing dialogue.  However, I have a heck of a time getting the scene right.  I can picture it in my head well enough, but translating that to the page is quite a task.  Part of my problem is my tendency to type too fast.  I get excited and in a hurry, and I don't spend as much time on each scene as I should.  I know I can always fix it during editing, but it would be much easier if I allowed myself to slow down a bit.  A lot of writers set goals for themselves to write a certain amount of words each time they write; I think I might need to start limiting myself. 

Another problem I have is finding a balance.  Personally, I don't like an abundance of description in books.  I prefer just enough details to adequately picture the scene.  So that being said, I think I tend to put too little in.

So I'm curious.  What's your writing weakness? Please share below.

2 comments:

  1. Description, I can't describe worth anything. I'm working on it though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three things:

    1.) Romance.

    2.) Superfluous language: I have a tendency to use big words when smaller, easier to follow words will suffice.

    3.) Over-description. I tend to write way too many descriptors which exceedingly slows my action.

    I'm working on all three of these and can already so a huge difference in my first revision!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!