Additional Information

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Q&A for my WIP. The Next Big Thing Blog Hop

Today's post comes about from a tag I received from fellow writer/blogger/AWer Alan Ford who was tagged for "The Next Big Thing" blog hop.  Each participant is to answer ten questions about his/her current work in progress.  So without further adieu, here are the questions and my answers. 

1. What is the working title of your current/next book?
SHARDS OF GLASS is the current title I am using.  UNBREAKABLE was the original title, then came SHATTERED INNOCENCE.  I'm still not satisfied...

2. Where did you get the idea for that book?
I wanted to write a story about someone who chose to overcome, someone who made an active decision to not let her life be dictated by her circumstances.  It started out as such, but then it turned into a love story.  Guess I'm a sucker when it comes to romance.

3. What's the genre of the book?
Young Adult

4. If you could pick actors to play the lead characters in your story, who would you pick?
My two main characters are Emily and Nicky.  Emily is average height.  I picture her as 5'5" or 5'6" but her height isn't important to the plot; she just has to have her head at Nicky's chest level.  She has red hair, which is layered and just past her shoulders.  Her eyes are a gray/blue. Molly Quinn, who plays Alexis on the ABC show Castle, would make a wonderful Emily.  Nicky is tall, 6'3" to be exact, has brown hair, dark brown eyes, and has a solid, muscular build.  But he's more on the slim side, not stocky.  A casting call would be needed to find a good actor to play Nicky.  I'm not satisfied with any of the current actors out there.  Or maybe I'm too particular.  That could be.

5. How would you describe your book in one sentence (ten words or less)?
Ha ha, ten words or less? This is not something I am good at. How about: A young girl rises above the tragedies of her past with the help of the boy next door.  Cheesy.  Unoriginal.  Boring.  And more than ten words.  Yet another thing that needs work. :)

6a. How will your book be published, submitted through the traditional route to a traditional publisher or will you be handling it yourself through Indie publishing methods?
My preferred method is to obtain an agent and be published through the traditional route.  That is my current plan.

6b. If you're an Indie author, will you be publishing through your own company or in a collective with other Indie authors?
n/a

7. How long did it take you to write the first draft of this book?
My first draft was 172,000 words, and it took me three months to write.

8. What other books within your genre are similar to yours?
My list for this question is blank.  There are surely similar stories out there, but I haven't read them.  Don't mistake that for a lack of effort on my part, though.  I live in podunk.  We no longer have a library and the nearest book store, which is forty-five minutes away, has limited choices.  I tried to find similar stories for research purposes (you know, to see how other writers did it) but had no luck. 

9. Who or what inspired you to write this book?
My own circumstances along with those of many people I know.  I'm not saying all of Emily's experiences are my own; that isn't the case.  But I do know what it's like to recognize life for what it is, and to make an active decision to not let that life determine who I am or who I will become. 

10. What about your book will pique the reader's interest?
Amidst the popularity of paranormal and sci-fi books, I hope readers will see their own struggles reflected in Emily's life.  Zombies, vampires, werewolves, aliens, and magical creatures are interesting enough, but they aren't real, so they aren't entirely relateable.  However, Emily is a young girl who is forced to deal with some pretty harsh circumstances and has to overcome them.  The reality is everyone has difficult circumstances to deal with.  That's just life.  And when readers experience Emily's life with her, I hope they will see their own ability to overcome, even if their struggles aren't exactly the same.

Whew.  I hope this Q&A session has been interesting for you.  Please click the link posted above to see Alan's Q&A.  You will also be able to click on links for a few others.  Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Charity--I like the sound of your story. It feels like YA has become much the same thing over and over. This sounds like a break out from that mold. Good luck with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Charity!

    An absolutely A-M-A-Z-I-N-G project. An engaging theme of courage and perseverance, and, whatwith 172,000 words in your first draft, certainly something you've poured your heart, soul and energy into. If putting in effort as they say bring rewards, then I'm hoping this project will shine like the person who authored it. Keep the faith, and press onward. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys! I'm excited about this project; I've certainly spent tons of time and effort on it. And this was the first time I ever wrote something with so many words. I had a lot to say, I guess! But it's since been significantly trimmed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, 172,000 words! I love my fantasy, but I love reading books like this, too. I think your 10 words...well, 18 words ^_^, are good. I like to read books about people who've overcome something big and come out healed at the end. There aren't enough books out there that do this well. I've had issues so it means a lot to me to read about someone who's been through that or worse and came out okay. And now I'm rambling.

    Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Krystal. 172K words was a lot! I've never written anything so long before. I've had a love/hate relationship with many of those words during the editing stages. Loved them but they had to go!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!