Additional Information

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

New Novel Beginning

Last night I finally had the opportunity to sit down and start my next novel.  I only got 859 words down, but it's a start.  And I'm so excited about it! This story has been an idea for more than eight years.  To finally see words on paper (okay, words on the computer screen) makes me giddy.  When this story idea first came to me, I never imagined so many years would go by before I had the chance to start it.  But other projects and ideas fought for my attention, and it was just a small idea.  One simple scene actually.  And it went like this:

"Joey."
"Joe.  It's just Joe now."
"Yeah, nobody calls me Kallie anymore either."

Eight years ago, that was all I had.  Yet it says so much about the two characters.  Anyway, I left that idea on the back burner (i.e. I jotted it down with my other story ideas) and let it sit.  Knowing I would get to it some day, I never thought much about it.  But now the time is right.  This is the story that's ready to be written.  And from that one little scene, a story is growing.  I've been jotting down notes for a few weeks as details and scenes have come to me.  I have a good idea of the ending, but I don't know the how or why.  And I think for me, one of the most exciting parts of writing is watching everything develop as I write.  I love it! It's a lot like reading.  When I'm reading a good book and have to put it down, I can't wait to get back to it to see what happens next.  It's the same with writing.  I can't write 24/7, so when I have to take a break, I can't wait to get back to it to see what happens next.

For the first time, I've chosen a title beforehand.  Usually I wait, but I wanted to be able to refer to it easily.  And what title did I come up with? REKINDLE.  It's really just a working title.  It sort of fits, and I'm sure I'll change it by the end.

Okay, that's enough for now.  Time to slip into Kallie and Joey's world... :)

4 comments:

  1. Starting is so great, isn't it?

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the new novel beginning, it is always exciting :) & if this (intriguing btw) scene has stuck with you for eight years then it really is a story that wants to be written!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, I feel your excitement! I love starting new works and seeing them progress.
    I'm glad you're finally able to bring this one to light!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!