Additional Information

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Heaven

Today I would like to talk about a book I am reading.  The title is Heaven and it was written by Randy Alcorn.  This is the first book I've ever read about Heaven, not counting the Bible of course.  And I have to say, I'm pretty excited.

I was saved and baptized when I was twelve, and I have gone to church fairly consistently since that time.  Secure in the knowledge of where I am going, I have never been afraid of dying.  Sure, I have things I'd like to accomplish before that time comes, but if I died today, I'd be okay.  I'd be in Heaven! That being said, I used to be one of those Christians who felt guilty about not being more excited about Heaven ~ spending eternity worshiping God? Uh, okay.  I used to chalk it up to being unable to comprehend Heaven and eternity.  I told myself, "Once you're there, you'll get it."  After all, God certainly deserves to be worshipped for eternity.  But I just wasn't as enthusiastic about it as I thougtht I should be.  This book has changed my thinking quite a bit.

By using scripture, the author discusses what Heaven and the New Earth will be like, the food we'll be able to eat, relationships we'll have with others.  I'm not quite half way through the book yet, but a scan of the contents lets me know he'll be discussing the things we'll be doing, too.  It's pretty interesting stuff.  Much better than doing nothing but standing before God, worshipping (cringing with guilt for saying such a thing!).  Lord, please forgive me for my lack of understanding! 

A lot of people describe Heaven as something unimaginable.  I was one of them, and I still don't think I can completely comprehend what God has in store for us.  I always wondered if family members who have died would know me when I get to Heaven.  Would they really be waiting for me? Would I know them and would I have any recollection of my life on Earth? I wasn't sure, but I'm beginning to believe. 

I do have to throw out a disclaimer.  It's one book, one author.  It'd be interesting to read what others have to say.  There's plenty of books out there, and I might have to pick up a few more at some time, as long as they use the Bible to back up their research as this author does.  If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

So, all that being said, I may have to wait until I get to Heaven to fully grasp it.  And, if this book is nowhere close to what Heaven will be like, then so be it.  Regardless of what Heaven will be like, it'll be much better than the alternative.  Hell ain't got no hold on me!     

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like an interesting book. I just made a note of it and I'll check it out when I get home this evening. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it. I often wonder at that kind of stuff myself. Curiosities about what kind of things you'll do FOR ETERNITY!!! That's a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want blogwalking>> ..
    Your blog is very nice> ..

    and if you intend to visit the clay behind my blog is ok !!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!