Additional Information

Thursday, June 30, 2011

What does freedom mean to you?

With Independence Day quickly approaching, I have found myself wondering what the Founding Fathers would say to us if they were alive today.  What would they think of America? How would they view today's interpretation of the Constitution? Would they clap their hands or shake their heads? I don't have the answers to those questions.  I have always enjoyed American History; it was my favorite subject in school.  Last year I read a book called America's Providential History by Mark Beliles & Stephen McDowell.  I really enjoyed it.  I also started reading Original Intent by David Barton.  What I have read so far in that book is just as interesting, but my own writing has occupied so much of my time that I haven't finished that book yet.  They're worth reading if you are interested.

All that being said, the purpose of today's post is not to get into a political debate.  We can save that for another time.  I would like to ask you, though, what does freedom mean to you? Maybe freedom to you is the right to speak freely or the right to bear arms.  Or maybe you think of your right to worship however you see fit or to not worship if that's the case.  And those are all important.  But what about freedom from poverty? From abuse? From being bullied? What about the right to a good education in a safe environment? I could go on and on.  Think about it.

As we prepare to celebrate with barbecues and fireworks displays, let's remember those who have fought and those who are still fighting for freedom today.  Please note, soldiers are not the only people fighting this fight.  There are people all over fighting for the rights of others.  Don't get me wrong, though.  I do believe soldiers deserve special recognition for their service.  Many of my family members and friends have served in the military and I certainly don't want to detract from any soldier's bravery or sacrifice.

So let's remember everyone who has fought or is fighting.  Thank them.  Say a prayer for them.  Appreciate them.  They deserve it. 

5 comments:

  1. To me, freedom is the right to fail. To fall flat on my face when trying to do something for the first time - or maybe even the hundredth.

    All too often, we've reached the point where failure is unacceptable and someone wishes to put a net under each of us so our egos aren't hurt.

    But, if we don't try - and fail - when do we learn to strive to gain and win what makes life worthwhile?

    I'm glad that in America, we still have some ethic left that trying - and succeeding - improves our life and the lives of those around us.

    [from a retired US Army Master Sergeant]

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great answer. So true! And thanks for your service.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Freedom, to me, is a bigger cage. The safest place to be can also be the most horrendous. In a cage, everything necessary for survival is supplied; food, shelter, safety, health and medical service. But once fully ensconced, the cage is nothing but a terrible trap. Life without some risk is no life at all. True freedom is not without risk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said Charity!

    I write a column for our local paper. This was the latest, but it's applicable to what you wrote here.

    http://lacrossetribune.com/tomahjournal/news/opinion/editorial/columnists/article_cb220c76-8fb9-11e0-989f-001cc4c03286.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!